White onychomycosis, a subtype of toenail fungus, can be an unsightly and bothersome condition. It’s characterized by white patches or spots on the toenails, which may lead to the nails becoming thickened or brittle. While medical treatment is often necessary for severe cases, there are some home remedies and preventive measures that individuals can try to manage and potentially improve white onychomycosis. What is the best white superficial onychomycosis treatment, here is complete information that will help you make the informed decision.
Maintain good foot hygiene:
Practicing good foot hygiene is crucial in preventing and managing toenail fungus, including white onychomycosis. Here are some steps to follow:
Regular cleaning: Gently clean your feet and toenails with mild soap and warm water. Be sure to dry them thoroughly, especially the spaces between your toes, as fungi thrive in damp environments.
Trim nails properly: Keep your toenails trimmed straight across and not too short to reduce the risk of injury or damage that can provide entry points for fungi.
Vinegar is a common home remedy for toenail fungus, including white onychomycosis. To try this method:
- Mix equal parts of white vinegar and warm water in a basin or bowl.
- Soak your affected toenails for about 15-20 minutes a few times a week.
- Dry your feet thoroughly after each soak.
- Vinegar is believed to create an inhospitable environment for fungi.
Tea tree oil:
Tea tree oil has natural antifungal properties and is a popular home remedy for nail fungus. Here’s how to use it:
- Dilute tea tree oil with a carrier oil, like olive oil, in a 1:1 ratio.
- Apply the mixture to the affected toenails using a cotton ball or swab.
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes, then rinse and dry your feet.
- Repeat this process daily for several weeks.
Baking soda paste:
- Baking soda is another common household item that may help with white onychomycosis:
- Make a paste by mixing baking soda with water until it forms a thick consistency.
- Apply the paste to the affected toenails, allowing it to sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly and dry your feet completely.